Low Brass Class
This is a weekly class for the low brass students that has been going on at the school since I began teaching there in 1985. We concentrate mainly on orchestral repertoire, using actual orchestral parts involving a rotating low brass section each time we meet. Other classes concentrate on trombone quartets and ensembles, trombone choir, mock auditions, and solo repertoire. During my professorship, I have seen many of the students go on and win positions with many of the leading orchestras around the world including the Atlanta Symphony, Chicago Lyric Opera, Kennedy Center Orchestra, Charlotte Symphony, Cincinnati Symphony, Philadelphia Orchesrta, The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, The Pittsburgh Symphony, The Saint Louis Symphony, The Buffalo Philharmonic, The San Antonio Symphony, The Jacksonville Symphony, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Minnesota Orchestra, National Symphony Orchestra, New York City Opera, Honolulu Symphony, Dallas Symphony, San Francisco Ballet Orchestra, Frankfurt Radio Symphony, Zurich Opera, Vancouver Symphony, Deutsche Radio Philharmoniie, Malaysia Philharmonic, Singapore Symphony Orchestra, Malaysia Philharmonic, Hong Kong Symphony and The New York Philharmonic.
Tentative LBC Schedule
Audition information for The Juilliard School Trombone department
1. Major and Minor Scales
2. Two etudes showing the applicant's level of technical and musical achievement.
3. At least one major solo of the applicant's choice.
4. A representative number of orchestral excerpts.
5. Applicants for graduate programs must also perform a concerto from the standard repertoire.
Sample Audition Program
F harmonic minor scale 2 octaves all legato starting on
2. David, Concertino
3. Casterede, Sonatina mvt. 2
4. Orchestral excerpts-Mozart requiem-Tuba Mirum, Ravel-Bolero, Wagner-Ride of the Valkyries, Berlioz-Hungarian March, Rossini-William Tell
DISCLAIMER- THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE, WE DO NOT EXPECT EVERYONE TO PLAY THIS PROGRAM! THE PROGRAM WILL BE LEFT TO YOUR DISCRETION. ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT REPERTOIRE CAN BE DIRECTED TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. (212) 799-5000